Friday

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

As a 16-year old I didn't watch a lot of TV, but one afternoon, something drew me irresistibly to the tube, as I was being fascinated and enchanted by a strange cartoon feature of a genre of literature that I didn't even know existed, and this was my first acquaintance with C.S.Lewis. While I'm still fond of other cartoon flicks, such as the Disney classics with their usual "do good" lessons and talking animals that have doubtlessly turned thousands of kids around the globe into vegetarians, I wouldn't waste my time writing something up on each of them. But this story of Aslan and his kingdom of Narnia is a classic, and this version sticks more to the original plot than the recent Disney version.

Apart from a few flaws, such as the appearance of Father Christmas, I just love this allegory of Jesus, the "Lion of the tribe of Judah" and His Kingdom in a dimension parallel to ours, accessible only via a certain door. Doubtlessly, God's kingdom on earth has presently been usurped by forces equally wicked as those of the white witch in the story, but even though they managed to kill the King, He rose again and will return and conquer back what is rightfully His, descending from the sky for that great battle between the forces of heaven and hell, and rrestore the Kingdom to those who are His...

No comments: