Tuesday

New In Town

I used to be a city slicker, brainwashed by the politically correct dogmas of our time until I discovered that the gist of what life is all about was found in a totally different direction than the pseudo-coolness and artificial hipness society forces on its victims in the process of finding players for its game.

So, I could perfectly well relate to the role Rene Zellweger was playing in "New In Town."

Coincidentally, I recently recorded the German version of the very Christmas hymn ("Come All Ye Faithful") that the villagers of "New Ulm" sang in the freezing winter of Minnesota - a hymn that the bulk of my former city acquaintances and "friends" would certainly sneer at and would not be able to relate to, but then I doubt if they've come to experience mere fractions of the joy the Christian life has to offer (along its many trials).

While the heroism involved in moving from Miami to Minnesota remains the type that's probably purely reserved for the movies, I also share the belief that what really counts in life is the spiritual sunshine that springs forth from the believing hearts of friends, more so than fun in the sun (as much as I enjoy the latter).

And if you should have made similar experiences in life, I'm sure you will enjoy this movie, too.

No comments: